Wednesday 2 January 2008

1 oclock, 2 o'clock.......wall picture quilt

I have been working on this one for a while and I am glad to see it finished. The weeks to christmas are always busy for the as most of the birthdays are in Nov, Dec. I had fun with these images & used the paint'n' stitch technique as well as more traditional applique. I wanted a 30's feel to the central figures so I was looking for a simple homemade quality. This was achieved using a simple running stitch to applique the bunnies & the butterflies. None of the edges are turned. The shapes are vliesofixed into position & sewn with small stitches using a single strand of matching embroidery thread. Picking fabric colours and patterns that are in keeping with the time make an important contribution to the feel of the piece. A lot of the colours are muted tones in purples and pale browns. To these were added blues, pinks and greens.
















Colourwashing the figures has allowed me too add more detail & sophistication than
straight fabric applique....especially with the facial expressions. The soft sepia tones of the faces lends on old fashioned quality as well as helping to meld the colour groups. I had fun playing with the patterns on the big bunnies clothes using 30's colours and styles. I love work that tells a story. When I am making a piece for children I always go for detail....something to stimulate the imagination with lots going on. I have fallen under the spell of these bunnies & plan to make some more.

No comments: