Thursday 22 November 2007

The Lavender Seller


The "Lavender Seller" is a neat little ted made from calico & sprayed with a hanp pump filled with black coffee to give him that worn kind of grotty look. When I am working with calico shapes I dont wash the fabric before I start. This way the bit of give in the fabric lets me needle sculpt more shape into the head. Ted uses doll making techniques...no joints....all the limbs are stitched to the sides of the body. This makes him quick & very easy to make. The pattern comes with a jacket ( fully lined ) a bag ( fully lined ) to store his Lavender & an embroidered mat to sit on. I have also included a stitchery with the set called "Lavender Tea". I was going to colour wash a second stitchery sample because I think it would look very cute.



















This is a standing shoot so you can see the legs stitched to the bottom of the body.
The jacket has a single shell button on the front & I tied a scrap of darker purple fabric around his neck






The image on the left is teddies lavenderbag.
I used the same calico for the bag, sprayed it with the coffee stain & used the same fabric as the jacket lining for the inside. The word "Lavender" has been backstitched on the front.

Close up of Doilly/Mat the teddy sits on.
The words stitched around the edge are the
traditional calls the english street vendors
used in the 17th / 18th centuries to sell their
wares
I used bullion stitches for the lavender heads
& stem & lazy daisy for the stems & leaves

No comments: